Your role at GEI
We are seeking an experienced geotechnical engineer to add technical and business development expertise to our growing Glastonbury, Connecticut (Hartford) office and to mentor junior staff. Our work includes transportation, building, waterfront, renewable and energy transmission, flood control, and dam/levee projects. The successful candidate will exhibit a combination of technical and managerial skills in the field of geotechnical and/or geostructural engineering, strong interpersonal skills, and experience working with local contractors, teaming partners, and government agencies.
GEI has adopted a hybrid workplace environment, which allows workers to choose from a range of options including a combination of work from home and in the office. This can range from working in the office a minimum of 2 days per week or electing to work the full 5 days in the office. This allows for a forward-looking, flexible work environment.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Exemplify commitment to technical excellence balanced with client-expectations and satisfaction.
- Serve as a technical leader and mentor.
- Manage the technical, financial, and client relationship aspects of projects.
- Serve as a role model of leadership, company culture, and values.
- Prepare proposals for professional services and develop new business in areas of specialty geotechnical services.
- Contribute to strategic planning at the office and regional level.
- B.S. in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering required; Master’s in Geotechnical Engineering preferred.
- Registered Professional Engineer; CT, NY, NJ, and/or MA preferred.
- Experience working on interdisciplinary design teams with the ability to be conversant in a variety of technical fields (e.g., environmental, civil, and structural engineering).
- 12+ years of relevant experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to travel on short-term assignments as needed.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
We are GEI.
Some of the world’s most pressing problems – from climate change to sustainable development, to critical infrastructure and the future of our energy supply – need our brightest and diverse minds working together to create safer, more resilient communities for tomorrow.
We are technical experts, collaborators, and entrepreneurs who draw from diverse backgrounds to solve our clients’ most complex challenges.
With approximately 60 offices across North America, we offer a range of engineering, science, and technical consulting services. Our range of expertise, project types, and culture make us the choice for top talent in the AEC industry.
As a 100% employee-owned company, our employees support our flat leadership structure, have a say in how our business operates and benefit from our financial success. We are committed to employee growth with career development opportunities, competitive total rewards, a well-being program, flexible work arrangements and more. Our company culture is driven by our 4 Cs – we are Client-Centered, Curious, Collaborative, and Community Minded – which support our focus on sustainability, safety, diversity, equity and inclusion. Get to know us better by visiting GEI’s career site here.
GEI’s Total Rewards Package
- Market-Competitive Compensation, including Eligibility for an Annual Performance Bonus
- Comprehensive Benefits Program, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability and More
- Well-Being Program and Paid Parental Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Hybrid Work Schedules and Home Office and Cell Phone Stipends
- GEI University (GEIU) with Continuing Education Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement
- Connecting Conversation Program with a Focus on Professional Development and Opportunities for Advancement
- Support and Financial Rewards for Publication Awards, Professional Dues, and Professional Licenses
- Paid Holidays and Generous Paid Time Off Program
- Rewards and Recognition
- GEI-Funded Profit Sharing and 401(k)
- Opportunity to be an Owner and Shareholder (Learn more here)
- A Vibrant Culture that is Focused on Partnership, Sustainability, Giving Back to Our Communities and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- And More…
· WORK ENVIRONMENT
Activity Level Throughout Workday (check one per row)
Physical Activity Requirements
(0-35% of day)
(33-66% of day)
(67-100% of day)
Lifting (floor to waist level) (in pounds)
Lifting (waist level and above) (in pounds)
Wrist position deviation
Pinching/fine motor skills
Keyboard use/repetitive motion
Taste or smell (taste=never)
Talk or hear
Very Accurate 20/20
Occupational Exposure Risk Potential
Blood borne pathogens
Airborne communicable diseases
Uneven surfaces or elevations
Extreme noise levels
Usual workday hours:
Other work hours
GEI is an AA/equal opportunity employer, including disabled and veterans.