Your role at GEI.
GEI’s Ithaca, New York office is expanding, and we are seeking a Geotechnical, Civil, or Water Resource Project Engineer. This individual will provide support to field- and office-related efforts on a variety of geotechnical, water resource, and environmental projects. The selected candidate will work closely with the senior leadership in the Ithaca office and elsewhere.
Office tasks may include compiling and reviewing data; developing conceptual and final designs; reviewing construction submittals and other documents; and preparing technical and cost proposals, reports and work plans. Field activities may include coordinating and performing oversight of geotechnical exploration programs; inspecting water retaining and appurtenant structures; and performing construction oversight and management.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
- Managing, training, and mentoring staff within the local Ithaca, NY office and elsewhere.
- Managing tasks and projects within technical specialty.
- Providing technical review and directing project activities of staff level engineers.
- Evaluating and analyzing collected data and prepare technical reports, letters and memoranda.
- Developing construction drawings, technical specifications, bid documents and project schedules.
- Developing and meeting project plans, schedules and budgets.
- Preparing technical and cost proposals to provide professional services and strive to develop new business in areas of specialty.
- Supporting other GEI offices with proposals and the delivery of professional services.
- Developing and maintaining client relationships.
- Representing GEI in communications and conferences pertaining to areas of specialty and other assignments.
- Traveling to project sites and other offices as required, including overnight travel.
- Collaborating with various team leads locally, regionally and nationally to support various program initiatives and needs.
- Contributing to strategic planning at the branch and regional level.
- B.S. in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering, or related field.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in the engineering field with experience working on interdisciplinary teams and the ability to communicate with other technical disciplines (e.g. environmental, structural).
- Ability to obtain Professional Licensure
- MS Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficiency with technical software for computation, analysis, and data presentation.
- Excellent technical and communication skills.
- Ability to supervise and review other’s work.
- Ability to build strong client relationships and desire to obtain new business.
- Willingness and ability to travel on short-term assignments.
- Willingness and ability to perform field tasks and oversight year-round, as required, without restrictions.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s license.
We are GEI.
Some of the world’s most pressing problems – from climate change to sustainable development, to critical infrastructure and the future of our energy supply – need our brightest and diverse minds working together to create safer, more resilient communities for tomorrow.
We are technical experts, collaborators, and entrepreneurs who draw from diverse backgrounds to solve our clients’ most complex challenges.
With approximately 60 offices across North America, we offer a range of engineering, science, and technical consulting services. Our range of expertise, project types, and culture make us the choice for top talent in the AEC industry.
As a 100% employee-owned company, our employees support our flat leadership structure, have a say in how our business operates and benefit from our financial success. We are committed to employee growth with career development opportunities, competitive total rewards, a well-being program, flexible work arrangements and more. Our company culture is driven by our 4 Cs – we are Client-Centered, Curious, Collaborative, and Community Minded – which support our focus on sustainability, safety, diversity, equity and inclusion. Get to know us better by visiting GEI’s career site here.
GEI’s Total Rewards Package
- Market-Competitive Compensation, including Eligibility for an Annual Performance Bonus
- Pay Range for this Position: $90,000-130,000/year
- Comprehensive Benefits Program, including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability and More
- Well-Being Program and Paid Parental Leave
- Commuter Benefits
- Hybrid Work Schedules and Home Office and Cell Phone Stipends
- GEI University (GEIU) with Continuing Education Assistance and Tuition Reimbursement
- Connecting Conversation Program with a Focus on Professional Development and Opportunities for Advancement
- Support and Financial Rewards for Publication Awards, Professional Dues, and Professional Licenses
- Paid Holidays and Generous Paid Time Off Program
- Rewards and Recognition
- GEI-Funded Profit Sharing and 401(k)
- Opportunity to be an Owner and Shareholder (Learn more here)
- A Vibrant Culture that is Focused on Partnership, Sustainability, Giving Back to Our Communities and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- And More…
· WORK ENVIRONMENT
Activity Level Throughout Workday (check one per row)
Physical Activity Requirements
(0-35% of day)
(33-66% of day)
(67-100% of day)
Lifting (floor to waist level) (in pounds)
Lifting (waist level and above) (in pounds)
Wrist position deviation
Pinching/fine motor skills
Keyboard use/repetitive motion
Taste or smell (taste=never)
Talk or hear
Very Accurate 20/20
Occupational Exposure Risk Potential
Blood borne pathogens
Airborne communicable diseases
Uneven surfaces or elevations
Extreme noise levels
Usual workday hours:
Other work hours
GEI is an AA/equal opportunity employer, including disabled and veterans.